Sunday, July 23, 2006

Rant Department!

Okay, another one from the rant department. I don't know if other states have this problem but it is definitely a big thing here in Utah. What I am referring to is the signs that people make with big plastic cups in the chain link fencing along walkways and other sorts of bridges that span in the air across freeways and other major roads. These signs usually say something like "Welcome Home Matt," or "Welcome Home some other boy's name." I tend to think these are usually directed at returning Mormon missionaries.

The first couple of times that I saw one I actually thought that they were sort of clever, now they are just getting really old. It is really not even the signs that bug me, it is the fact that the same sign sits up there for weeks and weeks, until a strong wind blows the cups away, a poor city worker has to go clean them up, or some other person rearranges them into another person's name.

I have come to a realization that nobody ever goes and takes the cups out of the fence after they have been there for a week or so. I really don't care if you want to make a sign for somebody who has been gone for awhile, but clean up after yourselves people. The fact that people don't ever take their signs down is what really bothers me. In my opinion it is along the same line as graffiti or, at the very least, it is littering!

I am tempted to try an experiment. I want to go and make a sign myself that expresses some sort of derogatory theme perhaps with a four letter exclamatory and see how long it actually sits up there for every passerby to see before people get fed up with it being up there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should write funny messages like "I got laid last night" or "i swear i didn't know she was your daughter sir".

The cup sign making will never end in utah. as long as there are people that claim to be "mormons", there will be cup sign making.

Rabble-rouser said...

Yah, that would be pretty funny. It is not even the signs that bother me, just the fact that they sit there forever and nobody cleans up after themselves.

Blondie said...

My hubby and I had this exact sentiment. However, the comment we wanted to post was "Welcome Satan" I'm sure with the culture we live in, it would be removed in a matter of days. It seems that people in this culture believe in censorship of free speech, they just want to take it away without anyone really knowing that's whats going on.

I better put this on my list of 100 things to do before I die.